In the time in corona virus parent/guardian involvement in the school has been more difficult as they are no longer allowed into classrooms. Communication with guardians is still very important, guardians need to know what is going on, and how they can be involved. Monthly newsletters were sent home to guardians to keep them appraised on what we were doing in the class, and there were smaller ways for guardians to be involved in the learning, such as helping their student with their 100s Day objects, or helping them collect items for the Leprechaun Traps. In a year without a global pandemic, properly vetted guardians can be a crucial to having classroom activities. I was fortunate to have ample adult help via my coaching teacher and an education assistant, but that is not always the case. Thus, having a good relationship with guardians is key.

Guardians need to be kept in the loop, if not they can not extend the learning at home. In turn, they can inform you of happenings at home which may impact the child’s ability to learn. This happened on my practicum a few times, and having a heads up that a child may be more emotional is valuable; it changes how you approach any behaviours that arise. Maybe you do not insist on the student completing the activity.