Assessment for learning is a key part of teaching, but doing it in a way that is effective can be a challenge. It needs to be in a way that actually tells you something, and simple “does this make sense” or “thumbs up if you understand” does not always work, especially if you are not really paying attention to the responses. With kindergarten students I found it rewarding to mix assessment and activity. Young students need to move often, and finding a way to incorporate assessment and/or learning into that is practical. A simple example that I used in practicum was to say a statement and have the students stand up if it was true and sir down if it were false. Another assessment that I did was having students come up in pairs and slap the right answer with a fly swatter. I used it when teaching coins, trying to pair students with someone of a similar understanding. It allowed me to better gage the understanding of individual students, and was very engaging for the students. In kindergarten nothing is even done, even after a summative assessment. After a unit is done, it is simply added to the roster of things to review at calendar. It is also something to talk about during centres, a quick check in using toys to discuss the learning. I still need to find ways to assessment for learning, having numerous strategies that you can pull from your back pocket at a moments notice is a necessary part if teaching. I am looking forward to learning and testing the strategies over the course of my career, though.