Part of this standard involves building student understanding and empathy for other cultures. I did a few lessons with an explicit Indigenous component, most notably a Metis jig in gym class and numbers 1-10 in Dakelh. These lessons were difficult content wise, but I was not the thing I wanted students to take away from them. I used these lessons to teach students how to respectfully interact with other cultures, in particular when they are learning something about them. It started with the Dakelh lesson, during which we discussed how we could respectfully interact with this new and challenging language. We came up with the expectation that everyone would participate as best they could, because that meant they were showing they cared about the learning. We also talked about how difficult it was to learn a new language. We discussed that I was not fluent in the language, and that I had only started learning it a few weeks before. I was fortunate enough to have a wonderful Indigenous Education worker who gave me some excellent resources and advice about how to teach a new language. I was able to model how to approach the new ideas with respect, which was great and helped students to feel like they were not the only ones struggling. The theme of showing respect by putting in one’s best effort was revisited when we did the Metis jig with the other kindergarten class. We revisited the conversation we had when learning about Dakelh, and the students once again seemed receptive. I know that both lessons need tweaking, and that I need to have further discussions about how to respectfully talk about and teach Indigenous languages and other cultural practices (and if I even have a right to), but I do feel that talking about how the students respect for the information did not come from their knowledge of it, but with their gleeful participation was a step in the right direction.