Collaboration 

This practicum was wonderful for developing my collaboration. I had the amazing opportunity to co teach two units with a fellow cohort member who was teaching in the other kindergarten class. We collaborated on creating the units and then taught them together. It was a great way to learn from another teacher in training, and to see the different ways that a classroom can be run. My coaching teacher also described our relationship as collaborative, though it was more one sided. She often gave me ways to improve upon it. We also worked together to do the student report cards. It was a huge day of learning, but it was nice to have a sounding board for my comments and someone to reflect on student learning. I know that collaboration will look different as a certified teacher with my own classroom, I got to see how my coaching teacher collaborated with the other kindergarten teacher, but I am excited for the opportunities I will have.

Intercultural Awareness

I value multiculturalism, both in the classroom and outside of it. As such, my own intercultural awareness is something I am always striving to improve, and will make it a part of my classroom. The first thing I will do upon entering a school will now be to seek out the Indigenous Education worker. They are such a valuable resource, and are a key part of creating an inclusive classroom. I will also do my own research and seek permission. I will make mistakes, but it is better to do so and apologize than be exclusionary. Getting students names right is an important part of intercultural awareness, and holding other accountable to do the same. Mixing up students names is one thing, but I need to be able to say everyone properly, and practice until I can do this. Inclusion and respect is not an optional part of teaching.