As a teacher, the students are your priority, and you want all of them to succeed. To be able to do this, you must build a relationship with them. In my 491 practicum the teacher had a slow start implemented in her classroom during which students did a simple desk game or worksheet followed by quiet free time. It was essentially a half an hour where I could check in on the students and build relationships. Centre time was also a time to build relationship through playing with students. For older grades, having free time, rather than centres, could also be a good time to connect withy students.

Building relationships with students can also be built into lessons. I did a “I Like Me” lesson with students. By giving students the opportunity to share what they liked about themselves, one of which had to be a thing they could do, and sharing my own examples connections were built. Through lessons and interacting with students you can also learn their strengths and weaknesses. Then, you can tailor lessons, and create a learning environment that promotes the success of all students.