In your classroom, you will always model what and who you value, even if you do not mean to. A way that you can intentionally or unintentionally voice your values is through the books in your class. It is getting easier and easier to find books with a wide variety of protagonists. I am by no means a perfect example; nostalgia pulls me towards the books that I read in school which were not always a model of inclusivity. As a bit of a bookworm, however, I take great pleasure in finding new children’s books which will help me create a library with a diverse cast of characters. This practicum inspired me to do research to find books that I can use to promote inclusivity, to the expense of my wallet. Even if a book does not reflect the situation of a child in your class, being exposed to that story will help them build empathy. Below I have listed a few books that I found that will be a great addition to a classroom library. This is by no means a comprehensive list, is a very much geared towards younger students, but they are books that I like that will help diversify a library or open up a discussion about inclusivity.

A Family is a Family is a Family by Sara O’Leary, illustrated by Qin Leng

This book is about a class talking about the different types of families that they have. The narrator is a child who is likely in the foster care system, but their classmates come from a wide variety of backgrounds. This book discusses LGBTQ families, blended families, divorce, grandparents as guardians, and a hosts of other types of families. It will validate whatever type of family your students have, and open up a discussion where you can learn about how they view their families.

Just Ask! Be Different, Be Brave, Be You  by Sonia Sotomayor, illustrated by Rafael López

This book teaches students appropriate and polite ways to ask questions about people. In the book many children tell their stories of living with different exceptionalities. While it is not a comprehensive list, it does give an opportunity to discuss how people can be different, but how we are all valuable.

And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell, illustrated by Henry Cole

This is based off the true story of a gay penguin couple at the central park zoo. It is a very cute and heartwarming story that covers LGBTQ themes.

What’s My Superpower? by Aviaq Johnston, Illustrated by Tim Mack

This book is a contemporary story featuring an Indigenous protagonist. It is easy to overlook the importance of viewing Indigenous culture as it is now. Many books featuring Indigenous characters are based in the past, particularly during the residential school era, which is an important thing to learn about, but it is only one era of the story of Indigenous people.